Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Its like Christmas morning!





Wow has it been a long week. This pregnancy was Freya's first and it has really been a nerve racker for us. She carried well, 8 kits in all--unfortunately she didn't really figure out what was required of her until after her first kit popped out on Monday. I rescued it from the cold, but mom was a tad over zealous in cleaning duty and nibbled off his tail. He's doing aright now, a bit of a runt, but he's eating and sleeping like normal.

Ryan stayed up through the night to catch the rest of the litter. They arrived this morning just after he left for the bus. Again Freya had gotten to another kit, but I suspect it was a stillborn anyway (and probably the reason for the prolonged labor). She ended up pulling fur for them all, even fed a few but failed to make anything which at all resembled a nest--which is pretty much what we expected.

Anyway Chili had her kits without issue--she's actually a super mom. She gave birth to 9 and kept all of them. So far Chili has fed all 16 babies while Freya has been occupied. But I'll be giving the first timer another stab at it tonight so cross your fingers for us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So, is there any (even a guess) indication of what underlying genetics Hrođgar has for his albino? Does he have a color under there?

clevername said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clevername said...

damn it hit the wrong button.

Anyway, some of the babies are definitely lilac indicating Hrothgar carries the gene for brown and for dilute (which makes brown lilac and black blue and so forth).

I'm waiting to see some fur come in before I make any calls on the others. Looks like Freya doesn't carry an albino gene though.

The Kings said...

Oh Wow! So many healthy looking kits! Congrats on all your new babies, I now have a new blog to watch.;-)