Monday, June 16, 2008

Long Term Plans

I've been asked a couple times exactly what we're going to be raising in our rabbitry, and I've given it a lot of thought, and I've come up with a policy and some goals.

First the overall policy:
I intend to do the following:
  1. I will not breed rabbits that do not conform to the ARBA Standard for their breed.
  2. I will not breed a rabbit which is unhealthy, or has shown itself incapable of producing reasonably healthy offspring.
  3. I will not breed rabbits to their relatives without having a good and specific reason for doing so, such as for the isolation and propagation of recessive or desirable traits.
  4. I will not breed a rabbit which has an unreasonably poor temperament. My rationale for this is that I have eliminated other factors which may be causing the poor temperament beside genetics.
  5. The only exception to the above statements being experimental breedings to remove unwanted features from an otherwise desirable gene pool.
Now, my present goal is for the rabbitry to raise three specific breeds of rabbit: English Angora, Satin Angora, and Silver Fox. I feel that each of these breeds would be a good fit for the rabbitry, and I do not intend to go outside of that list within the foreseeable future.

No comments: